Saturday 8 July 2017

A Bit of Doggy History

I often think of my two rough collies, Sheba and Jodi, my girlies as I used to call them, my beautiful Lassie dogs. They both feature throughout their lives in my memoir Better or Dead although it is many years now since they went over rainbow bridge but I think of them often and have never had another dog since.
Their stories begin on page 45 of the paperback, not sure of the page number in the ebook, when Sheba came to us. I was so excited to go and pick her up but I hadn't realized what a traumatic experience it would be for her. With a cavalier attitude I'd ignored my husband's suggestion to take a towel to put on my knee in the car. What a mistake that turned out to be!

My dream had always been to breed and show rough collies but it went wrong in spectacular fashion. When Sheba was 2 years old I was told by another breeder that she should have her first litter before she got any older. After much research we duly booked a suitable stud dog for our little princess and traveled to York from Stoke-on-Trent to have her mated. That didn't quite go to plan but she seemed to enjoy the experience and her pregnancy progressed well. The birth of the puppies was more or less straightforward once it got going but afterwards....! What a disaster!
Sheba didn't take well to motherhood and most of the puppies didn't survive. We were advised by a couple of young and inexperienced vets to just keep two. It was absolutely heartbreaking and not an experience I wanted to repeat, either for myself or for the dog.
The full story begins on page 102 of the paperback, again not sure of the page in the ebook but it follows on from February 1979. As it is a memoir the book covers all aspects of my family life including my struggle with M.E/C.F.S, my sons' pet rabbits Jazz and Ziggy, also now over rainbow bridge, as well as Sheba and Jodi's life stories. Our pets play such a big part in our lives and I hope that when it's my turn to leave this mortal coil that they will all be there to welcome me. 
Better or Dead ebook plus paperback old cover available from amazon, paperback updated version from feedaread.com








No comments:

Post a Comment